Monday, February 1, 2016

Architectural Relief Inspirations & Final Project






Ancient Greek

One of the most fascinating elements of Ancient Greek architecture, aside from their mythological components and timeless character, is the combination with sculptures. The pillars often are sculpted into the shape of Greek religious characters, while the trimmings are of an intricate pattern. I thought I would use both of these elements in my project. 




Ancient Indian

Along with Ancient Greek, Indian architecture is renowned for its pillars. But more so, and what I want to focus on, are the interesting shapes of the arches. Ancient Indian architecture is very embellished, and it is seen in every aspect from stone carving to gold plating. The detail is another aspect I would like to recognize, and a common theme throughout all my selections. 





Victorian

The gingerbread trim and pastel colors are both components of Victorian that I adore. I also admire the cone shape of the room and the circular bay cutout that protrudes from the building. When I think Victoria, I think ornamental, which definitely adds to its character. 




Surrealist

Surrealist is easily the most unique architectural styles out of the ones I have chosen. I decided to add this to the list because doing so allows me to exercise complete creativity on my project, as surrealist architecture does not follow the basic construct of historically sound architecture, and allows one to play with their imagination in relation to real stability. 







FINAL PROJECT

Using a combination of primarily Ancient Greek and Ancient Indian architecture, with accents from the Victorian era and a bit of surrealist inspiration, I created the project below. I stuck with a color them of white, black, and pastel, as an ivory white was the primary color in my Greek examples. The white allowed a marble feel, and helped to foster in some bits of Victorian. 


Additionally, to incorporate Indian architecture, I designed an intricate backdrop and created symmetrical archways that echoed the style of Ancient Indian archways, especially with the curved shape to them. 


To complete, I added an accent to the bottom of the archways. I tried to assimilate the Indian culture with a Victorian style gingerbread cutout. This was done with clear tape, gesso, and paper. 

 

Finally, I had a cutout dyed purple and attached with string to add balance and symmetry, creating a dangling element in an otherwise structural platform.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment